Monday, October 08, 2007

 

Recipe of the Day

Well, I'm a little tuckered out today from the festive celebration I attended last night of Canadian Thanksgiving. Since my hosts were American I thought maybe they were extreme Canadaphiles or at least had a cousin in Waterloo. But it turned out they just love turkey and didn't want to wait until November. Something about a need for tryptophan.

It was totally delicious, and by the end of the main course we raised our glasses in an attempt to sing "O Canada." As it turned out no one knew the words so we ended up making humming noises. Thinking back on it today, I believe the tune I actually hummed was "Love Me Tender."

Our hostess had made a pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkin and told the story of her attempt to select the best pumpkin for eating, when the young clerk said in surprise, "I didn't know you could make a pie out of these!" Now get this: Not only was the pie from fresh pumpkin but the crust was of Graham crackers—homemade.

Sorry you couldn't be there.

When my friend called to ask if I could attend their Canadian Thanksgiving dinner, of course I said "Yes" without hesitation. (I've been saying "Yes" to almost anything ever since Nancy Reagan told me to "Just say no.") But I carried with me some ideas of what a traditional Canadian Thankgiving dinner might be like. I was imagining saddle of elk or rack of moose, wondering all the while where they got the moose.

So today I've been thinking about exotic meats and came upon this intriguing recipe at Corrente, which was devised in honor of Tom Delay's resignation back in '06. It's appropriate, however, for any dinner in celebration of a Republican resignation, indictment or conviction—
 

PORK DELAY

  1. Procure one well-fatted Republican.
  2. Remove the suit, the forked tongue, and the heart. Set aside the heart in case Dick Cheney changes his mind.
  3. Wash the inner cavity of the Republican, then stuff with golf balls. Close and truss.
  4. Steep the carcass in corruption until tender or indicted, whichever comes first.
  5. Secure the Republican to the rotating spit device. Adjust the amount of spin as needed.
  6. Place an oilpan beneath the Republican to catch the drippings.
  7. While the Republican is turning, prepare the Orange Jumpsuit sauce.
  8. When juice runs clear, remove the Republican from heat.
  9. Slice the Republican into wedges.
  10. Arrange wedges on a bed of shredded lettuce and garnish with the testicles of centrists. Drizzle with Orange Jumpsuit sauce.
  11. Serve under the Capitol Dome.

Yummy!

Tags:

Post a Comment

<< Simply Appalling Home

Atom feed

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Blog Search Engine

Politics
Blog Top Sites

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?