Friday, November 18, 2005
Graphic of the Day: Foreign fighters in Iraq
Note the roles of nationals from various countries. The innocuousness of the claims against Syria stands out. (I will put online shortly a CSIS working draft by Anthony Cordesman which contains a number of interesting comments on the role of Syria.)
- Saudi Arabia
- Some 350 Saudis suspected of joining al-Zarqawi in Iraq. Some have already returned to carry out terrorist attacks.
- Some 300 Egyptians thought to have gone to Iraq to fight for al-Zarqawi.
- Al-Zarqawi's homeland and main area of operations outside Iraq. 59 killed in suicide bombings last week in Amman. Accomplices still at large.
- Provides an estimated 600 volunteers for operations in Iraq; the largest component in al-Zarqawi's force.
- Main transit point for fighters and funds. Al-Zarqawi thought to have visited the country on several occasions.